Beckham and Gravesen both see red as Real lose

Former Manchester United captain David Beckham and former Everton midfielder Tomas Gravesen were both sent off last night as their club Real Madrid lost to Valencia 2-1. This is the second time this month that he has been sent off in a competitive game. The 30-year-old was given a yellow card for dissent and then sent off for sarcastically applauding the referee. Madrid described the dismissal as "unjust" on their website and said they may try and get the card rescinded. Beckham is now set to miss Wednesday's trip to Deportivo La Coruna through suspension.


Gravesen, meanwhile, got his marching orders eight minutes from time for a reckless lunge on Vicente Rodriguez, with Beckham following two minutes from time. Real Madrid boss Vanderlei Luxemburgo said: "I wasn't next to Beckham on the pitch so I can't say what he did and Gravesen's was a foul from behind. "I don't like to complain about referees. We have lost more than a game, we have lost two players." Gravesen was unrepentant after his red card. "It was a counter-attack and I had to take him down. I don't regret it and I would do it again if I had to," said the Dane. "I could not take the chance and let him continue his run. I didn't think it would be a red card but I still have to adapt to the Spanish style of refereeing." England's Jonathan Woodgate was left out of the starting line-up - despite scoring in midweek - with Luxemburgo preferring Sergio Ramos.

Bad news for both Beckham Gravesen because they will now miss some big games coming up including the game against Deportivo La Couruna. The news is even worse for Real because they are now going into a big game on Wednesday missing two key players. Isaw the two incidents and I thought Gravesen certainly didn't deserve a red card but the Beckham thing was just stupid on his part.

 

0 comments: